Today, one of my colleagues wanted to log on to a server and got this message.
Of course, the password was the right one and the account was not locked out.
(Fortunately, this issue did not prevent me to open a remote PowerShell session.)
As soon as I have an issue, my first reaction is to have a look at the event log. And here again, it was helpful.
The RDP service did not start because a dependency, the Workstation service, could not start.
After watching at the Workstation service, I discovered a dependency named System.ServiceProcess.ServiceController.
This is because the system is unable to link the dependency to an existing object.
At this moment I remembered that we enabled SMBv1 on this computer because it has to communicate with a legacy equipment. A quick look at the registry confirmed this.
As you can notice, the Workstation service was depending on SMBv1 protocol, which is listed as MRxSmb10.
The next step was to look at the installed features.
And here we found the root cause of the issue: the SMBv1 protocol was not installed.
We just had to install the protocol, restart the server, and everything was working fine again.
Of course, it would have been better to remove the dependency from the Workstation service of the SMBv1 protocol. However, while the legacy equipment still needs to communicate with this server, we must keep this protocol enabled.